Got Questions? We've got Answers!

Q. What does it take to own your own Private Investigations Company?

A. To be a Private Investigator and have your own investigative company in the state of Texas you must have one of the following:

  • a bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice, or bachelor's degree with an additional six months of investigation related experience;
  • or an associate’s degree in Criminal Justice or related course of study with an additional twelve months of investigation related experience, or equivalent work experience working for a licensed investigative firm for three years;
  • or a specialized course of study directly designed for and related to the private investigations profession taught and presented through a four year college or university accredited and recognized by the state of Texas.

Q. What are the different licenses an investigation company can have?


  •  Private Investigators are issued a license from the Texas Department of Public Safety Private Security Board.
  • PI's usually carry a class A (Investigation Firm) license;
  • but can carry a class B (security only);
  • or Class C (A and B Combined).
North Texas Private Investigators Association - Facebook

Resources & Forms